- Fosen folkehøgskole
- Telephone: (+47) 40601638
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course length: All year
- Study tour: Høstutfart, Vinterutfart, Vårutfart
- Foundation: LiberalThe liberal folk high schools are built on values that are not based on one particular belief. They encourage students with different interests and beliefs to apply.
Food: Vegetarian, veganMost schools will accommodate food allergies and other dietary needs. If you have questions, please contact the school directly.
- Location: Rissa
- Start-up date: 22. august 2022
- Linjefag: 15 hours/week
- Price: from 123 900,-
Strive for self-sufficiency with a hands-on approach. Aquire diverse skills like basket weaving, skin tanning, woodwork, clothing repairs, preserving foods, fishing, gathering, and outdoor living!
Learn what you need to be more self-sufficient; whether living in an apartment unit where you want to raise herbs in the windowsill, have a compost in the kitchen, sourdough starter in the fridge, and a "rootceller" on the veranda. Or you live a bit closer to nature and want to forage in the woods for food or building material, or fish in the stream to catch your next meal.
We will be out in the woods and foraging for what that season has to offer, and will learn about nature, wild edibles, trees, and weather. In fall and spring we'll find ourselves turning soil in the garden. And we'll learn not to fret when we have to slaughter and process a pig or duck. Preserving fruit will be second nature, whether lactofermenting, drying, making cordials, or pickling you will learn what's best for whatever is in season.
Handcraft is a central aspect in this course. You will learn ways to craft your own knife, sew a backpack, repair things that break, or make something new out of something old.
A year goes fast, and we won't be able to learn everything, so we must priortize. Thoughout the year there will be an ongoing discussion between students and teacher to decide what the class will focus on day to day.
The year could include:
- Woodwork, bushcraft, and carpentry
- Outdoor survival
- Sewing clothes and making outdoor gear
- Wild plants and herbs
- Tanning hide to leather
- Repair, mechanics, maintenance
- Cultivation of vegetables, fruit, and berries.
- Forest work